According to them byzantine times and until the beginning of the 13th century, information about the history of Antiparos is scarce, but we know that throughout this period, and until the Greek Revolution of 1821, the island suffered from pirate raids from Algeria, Crete, Mani, Kefallinia and elsewhere. These frequent raids are witnessed both by the fluctuations of its population, which reached the almost desertification of the island, and by the remnants of the defense works that had been established from time to time by the various lords of Antiparos to protect the inhabitants.
In 1207, Antiparos was occupied by the nephew of the Doge of Venice, Henry Dandolo, Mark I Sanoudos, who participated in the Fourth Crusade and was one of the leaders of its diversion from its original goal, a diversion that resulted in the overthrow of the Byzantine Empire. With the approval of Venice, Markos Sanoudos conquered the Cyclades, the Sporades and other Aegean islands, founding the Duchy of the Aegean Sea, based in Naxos. Antiparos remained under the rule of the house of Sanoudas until the second half of the 14th century, when it passed into the hands of the house of Sommaripa with the marriage of Maria Sanoudou, lady of Andros, Naxos and Antiparos, with Gaspari Sommaripas. At the beginning of the 15th century Antiparos was densely populated - it is known that it provided the galleys of the Duke of Naxos with 30 sailors. Later, however, as a result of pirate raids, it was completely deserted. Christopher Buodelmodi, a Florentine clergyman of the 15th century and one of the first Greek-loving travelers of our country, mentions in his work "The Book of the Aegean Islands" that in Antiparos there were very few inhabitants engaged in geology and geography. He also mentions that the island was full of eagles and hawks.
In 1440, the lord of Paros and Andros Kroussinos A 'Sommaripas gives Antiparos as a dowry to Francesca's daughter who marries Leonardo Lorentano. Thus, Antiparos is separated from the rule of the Duke of Naxos and falls into the strong Venetian family of Lorentano. Leonardo Lorentano at his own expense transported cultivators to Antiparos and built the famous castle. In 1480 the island passed into the hands of Domenigos Pizani and, together with Anafi and Ios, became the property of the Venetian Pizani family. In 1537 Antiparos along with the rest of the Cyclades falls into the hands of the Ottomans and the terrible pirate Hairedin Barbarossa.
Antiparos remained under Turkish yoke until 1770, when the Russian fleet of brothers arrived on the island Orloff. In the period 1770-1774 Antiparos and Paros were occupied by the Russians, but after the Orlofika they fell again under the Turkish yoke until the Greek Revolution of 1821.
During her period Turkish occupation Antiparos suffered many disasters not only from the invasions of the conquerors but also from the pirates.
Characteristic of the living conditions of the time is the end of the infamous French pirate Daniel, knight of the Order of Malta, and the dramatic events in Despotiko in 1675. That year, a naval battle broke out between Daniel and Turkish ships off Despotiko. pirate used as a base. The defeated pirate set fire to his ship and disembarked in Despotiko with his gang, charging large sums to the inhabitants to save him. But they chained him and handed him over to the Turkish expeditions. When other French pirates, such as Orange, Honorary and Hugo de Crevelier, learned of the events, they landed on the island, after the Turkish ships left, looted it and slaughtered the inhabitants. The most devastating pirate raid on Antiparos was probably in 1794, when Kefalonian and Mani pirates looted the island and slaughtered and captured most of the inhabitants, including the daughter of the French deputy consul.
The taxation of the inhabitants was unbearable in the meantime. In 1756, in order to pay the tax, the Antiparians were forced to sell the islet of Diplo to Parianos Petros Mavrogenis and George Bao from Mykonos, for 100 rials.
And yet, in those dark years, there was a school in Antiparos, where the children of the island learned letters. It was in this that the first lights of education and religion were given to great men, among whom his figures dominate. Neophytou Mavromatis, Metropolitan of Nafpaktos and Arta, and Ananias, the deacon who taught in the mid-18th century at the Patriarchal Academy and is considered one of the wisest teachers of the Nation.
The inhabitants of Antiparos were among the first from the Cyclades to take part in Greek revolution. In 1823, the concession for money of Antiparos, together with Paros, Naxos and Sifnos, to the Knights of St. John, was discussed, but without any follow-up. The island officially became part of the Greek state with the London Protocols of 3.2.1830 and 18.8.1832.
But also according to him World War II, Antiparos took an active part in the Resistance against the Germans. It had become a secret base for the Allies and is well known in the history of World War II. "Operation Antiparos" with subsequent arrests and executions of Greek patriots and allies.